The NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman made some major announcements on Tuesday.
Bettman said the decision to resume play comes because both fans and players have made it clear they want hockey back.
After a one hour call with general managers on Tuesday, Bettman revealed fans and media the full 24 team format but doesn't have any dates in place yet.
- 24 teams will resume play (top 12 in each conference)
- 2019-20 regular season is now complete
- Each conference will have a hub city which will be announced at a later date
- Each team will be limited to 50 personnel in a hub city
- Comprehensive system of testing
- Phase 2 will begin in Early June
- Phase 3 (training camps will happen near the start of July no earlier than July 1
- Phase 4 clubs will begin conference-based round-robins, qualifying rounds and Stanley Cup Finals
Hub cities currently under consideration are Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Vancouver.
- Top 4 teams play for first round seeding (regular season overtime)
- Qualifying round - remaining 8 teams play best of 5 series to advance to first round (playoff overtime)
- Conference based playoffs- bracket format or each round determined by seeding
- Qualifying round winners play top seeds in first round
- First round, second round best of 5 or best of 7
- Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals will for sure be best of 7